Female Doctor Wearing Protective Headgear and Using StethoscopeTeacher cleaning chalkboard with dusterMP900442656young-150x150

JustCRB is open for calls 7 days a week
Call us now on: 0843 2899404

What type of check do you require – Individual or Company?

Individual Applicants

As an individual you can only apply for a Basic Disclosure.


Basic Disclosures

A Basic Disclosure (termed as a ‘criminal conviction certificate’ in Part V of the Police Act 1997) is the lowest level of Disclosure and is available to anyone for any purpose. It contains details of convictions considered unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 or states that there are no such convictions. This type of Disclosure is only issued to the applicant. It is not job-specific or job-related and may be used more than once.

Anyone can apply for a Basic Disclosure in their own name. This might be requested for a new job, volunteer work or to support a visa application.

What information do I need to provide?

You will be asked for the following information on your application form:

Full Names used, mothers maiden name, date of birth, town of birth and 5 year address history.

You will need to complete an application form and provide photocopy proof of your current address, ie utility bill, bank statement, credit card statement together with photocopy proof of your date of birth, ie: birth certificate, passport or driving licence.

Please do not send original documents.

Average processing times are 10 – 14 days so please allow plenty of time for your application to be processed.

The self-employed or individuals can’t legally apply for a Standard or Enhanced criminal record check on themselves.


Standard and Enhanced Checks

Available only through Companies or Organisations, two copies of the disclosure are issued: one for the applicant and one for the company/organisation.

Organisations can only apply for a CRB check if the position is included in the list of offices, employments, work and occupations that are known as the exceptions to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

These positions are grouped into categories, depending on the type of work involved. When applying for a CRB check, you should select the category type that identifies with the position for which you are recruiting. Click here to see the list.


What I.D. is Required?

Click here to see list of valid id documents


Standard Checks

Standard CRB checks are for people entering certain professions, such as members of the legal and accountancy professions. Standard checks contain the following:

Convictions, Cautions, Reprimands and Warnings held in England and Wales on the Police National Computer, the most of the relevant convictions in Scotland and Northern Ireland may also be included;

Standard checks no longer include a check of the old or new barred lists from 12 October 2009, therefore if you are working or volunteering with children or vulnerable adults, you may now be entitled to an Enhanced CRB check


Enhanced Checks

These are the highest level of check and in addition to showing all cautions, warnings, reprimands and convictions these also check the children’s and/or vulnerable adults list and also reveal any additional information held on the applicant by local police.

These checks are available to any Company or Organisation whose employees work with children and/or vulnerable adults.


Volunteer Checks

These are available free of charge* to applicants who meet the definition of a volunteer


Definition of a volunteer

The Police Act 1997 (Criminal Records) Regulations 2002 defines a volunteer as:

“volunteer” means a person engaged in an activity which involves spending time, unpaid (except for travel and other approved out-of-pocket expenses), doing something which aims to benefit some third party other than or in addition to a close relative.

*Volunteers just pay a small admin fee.


What information will the applicants need to provide

Applicants need to provide: Full Names, Date of Birth, Town of Birth, NI Number, Driving Licence number (if applicable), Passport Number (if applicable) and a 5 year address history confirming months and years moved in and out of each address.

If applicants do not have a driving licence or passport, alternative id needs to be submitted: Bank Statement, Utility Bill, Marriage Certificate, Council Tax Statement, Credit Card Statement are just a few examples of acceptable id.


Please note: we do not require you to send original documentation.